gmark - Re: gmark digest: April 25, 2001

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Karel Hanhart <K.Hanhart AT net.HCC.nl>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: April 25, 2001
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:31:16 +0200

Kata Markon digest wrote:Subject: Comparative analysis

> From: "Sid Martin" <smartin AT webzone.net>
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:15:56 -0500

Thank you for your remarks on comparative analysis. The metaphor of a jury is
well taken, of course. You wrote:
" Outside of math and logic, of course,
there really is no such thing as "proof". What we call proof is simply
evidence that someone finds convincing. Who it is that must be convinced,
and how convinced they must be, is an open question. That is why we have
juries. The jurors are the only ones whose opinion matters. In the world
of scholarship, unfortunately, there are no juries, and nothing is ever
really "proven". Even scholarly consensus is a poor guide to conviction.
In the field of Bible scholarship particularly, consensus shifts with the
fashions of the day."

However, internal evidence still is a powerful vehicle to sway a jury. In my
own
case
I've asked myself, does my new proposed interpretation of Mark's open tomb
story offer an acceptable solution to certain puzzling passages in Mark itself
and in Matthew, Luke of John which heretofore were regarded as a 'crux
interpretum'. If that were the case concerning
a sufficient number of texts, a jury may decide that the later authors (Mt,
Lk,
Jn) had indeed
understood Mark's climactic witness along the same lines as the newly offered
interpretation.
This is here not the place to defend that I didnot merely follow "the fashion
of
the day".
But in my book, - I apologize for again referring to it -, I believe I have
found solutions to such 'cruces' as Mk 1,2; 1,32.33; 3,6; Mt 16,16-18 and
28,1;
Acts 1,15-26; John 2,21; 10,7; 11,1-54. I would be interested to hear your

reaction as a juror.
Re. the question of 'genre', would you agree that Mark wrote a midrash at the
conclusion of his [Christian-Judean] Passover Haggadah or where do you think
this approach is not germaine to
his Gospel?

your Karel Hanhart K.Hanhart AT net.HCC.nl