gmark - Re: Judas' Kiss and Methodology

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Judas' Kiss and Methodology
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:49:56 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Weeden" <weedent AT atw.earthreach.com>
To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 9:33 PM
Subject: [gmark] Judas' Kiss and Methodology

A thought came to me while reading this very interesting treatment and
I will isolate it for the sake of brevity.

> But while Mark borrows copiously from the OT, it is striking that he
seldom
> explicitly informs his hearers that an OT quote or reference which he
> incorporates into his drama does in fact come from the OT. On only seven
> occasions (1:2; 7:6; 9:12, 13; 11:17; 14:21, 27) does he introduce OT
quotes
> or references with the introductory formula GEGRAPTAI . It appears that
on
> those occasions, when he does introduce an OT citation with the formula
> GEGRAPTAI, that he does so because it is important at those particular
> points in his narrative to have the authority of scripture to support what
> he has Jesus state (7:6; 9:12,13; 11:17; 12:10; 14:21, 27, 49) or what he
> himself is about to dramatize (1:2).

One thing stands out to me concerning the GEGRAPTAI verses in Mark. With
the exception of the introductory 1:2, they are all attributed to Jesus. It
then becomes
significant to me that, as you point out, Mark does *not* routinely
gegraptize
(newly coined word) his own OT references. This makes me wonder, contra
Jesus Seminar, that Jesus may have used this formula on occasion. The JS
rejected sayings with this formula as Yeshuine based on a consensus that he
would not quote scripture but instead rely on his own authority. I
disagree.
I think there is a strong christological element to that reasoning. The
only
gegraptai saying voted above black by the JS is 11:17 which appears to me
to be a Markan thematically expanded GoT 64. Although it is certainly
possible
an earlier source may have listed a whole gaggle of OT gegraptais (perhaps
hinted by GoT 52), we may not be able to entirely snatch a gegraptai or
two from the verba Iesu.

Jack

-----

Jack Kilmon