gmark - Re: Mark's Young Man is Homer's Elpenor

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "L. J. Swain" <larry.swain AT wmich.edu>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mark's Young Man is Homer's Elpenor
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:41:54 -0500

JFAlward AT aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/14/01 10:49:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> larry.swain AT wmich.edu writes:
>
> << The problem with MacDonald's approach here is not only does it assume a
> lot on the part of the audience, but from what evidence we do have of
> Greek readers making something of Mark, this is exactly what they did
> NOT make of the text.
> >>
> What evidence is that?
>
> Joe Alward
>
> ---

The Docetists and the Adoptionist controversies. Neither side in those
debates
seem to have understood Mark in the way that MacDonald has. Nor did Celsus or
Trypho or other opponents to the nascent church. Further, the path MacDonald
traces of a drunken sailor on top of Circe's roof who falls and breaks his
neck
to Mark's young man found in a garden running away from soldiers in the nude
seems to be tendentious in the extreme. Other than the incidence of "young
man"
there doesn't seem to be whole lot of connection.

Larry Swain