gmark - Re: gmark digest: March 14, 2001

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "warren barber" <barbewa AT hotmail.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: March 14, 2001
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:28:06

<snip>
Bruce Griffin
This is a plausible enough reconstruction. And if it were intended in part as authorial self-identification, then it would help explain why Luke and Matthew omit the episode. But I would be grateful for references as to "an existing pattern of anonymous self-identification" in literature. A convincing list of examples here would greatly strengthen your case.
Cordially,

Bruce Griffin
Lincoln College
University of Oxford
<snip>

Mr. Greffen, Please forgive a short term leeker, first time poster, I know I've read of this, but it has been awhile and I'm not sure where sorry, maybe someone else might help?

<snip>
If indeed Mark wanted to write history as accurately as possible than yours is a valid alternative. Theodor Zahn offered it in the last century already. But the problem remains why the author himself, John Mark, would not have mentioned before explaining how he accompanied Jesus and the twelve to Gethsemane. More difficult to answer is the question why Mark would place himself - while still in this life - in the role of an angel. There would have been a less spectacular and less prideful way of introducing himself into the story. If I remember correctly, Zahn only referred to the youth in Getsemane - signing in this manner, in the margin so to speak, his gospel.

Karel Hanhart
<snip>

Mr. Hanhart, I'm sorry I do not understand the concept " in the role of an angel ", perhaps this is due to my not knowing of Mr. Zahn's work, do you have infomation on where I might gain access to it?

In persuit of Truth, Warren Barber