gmark - Flight of the Naked Young Man

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Flight of the Naked Young Man
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:05:47 EST

The explanation for the flight of the naked young man is more likely to be
the one which requires the least speculation. Now, given that Mark has based
almost all of the betrayal and arrest story on the Old Testament
(http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/David_and_Jesus.htm), we should look to
scripture for an explanation.

We find it, I believe, in Isaiah and Lamentations:

”Your nakedness will be exposed and your shame uncovered."  (Isaiah 47:3 )

"Jerusalem has sinned greatly and so has become unclean. All who honored her
despise her, for they have seen her nakedness." (Lamentations 1:8)

Thus, Mark's young man symbolizes Jerusalem's shame in degrading the son of
God. Why can't it be that simple?

Stephen Pimlott suggested that Mark had in mind Amos 2:16

"Even the bravest warriors will flee naked on that day," declares the LORD."
(Amos 2:16 NIV)

Quoting Stephen: "This would mean that the young man represents the bravest,
the pinnacle of the old Israel, but even he runs away naked."

I don't think this foundation is as solid as Isaiah and Lamentations. Mark
says nothing about this young man that would allow his readers to conclude
that the young man was brave, or the "pinnacle of old Israel." Stephen's
explanation requires more guessing and how-it-could-have-been speculation
than mine, I believe, and therefore is less satisfactory.

Regards,

Joe Alward