gmark - Re: clarification

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk (Peter M. Head)
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: clarification
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:36:13 +0000

>Steve Black wrote:
>
>> I realized as I read my recent post that it could be misunderstood. I
>> was speaking not of Ted Weeden, on this list - but rather Theodore
>> Weeden - who published "Mark-Traditions in Conflict" in 1971.
>> Theodore Weeden's theory, once again, is that Mark wrote his gospel
>> polemically - attacking the original disciples for heresy (divine man
>> Christology). Peter, according to this theory, for example is never
>> rehabilitated after his denial, and is left in a "reprobate" position.
>
>You may wish to know that the Ted Weeden on this list and the Ted Weeden who
>wrote _Mark: Traditions in Conflict_ are one and the same person!
>
>Yours,
>
>Jeffrey Gibson

I wonder what evidence you would adduce to prove this identification. Sure
there are a few similarities of expression and even argumentation; there
may even be a self-claimed identity; but all of this falls far short of
really compelling proof. We know that these discussion lists are full of
both fraudulent identity claims and pious wishes for continuities with the
pre-computer world of the previous generation. But this makes a hermeneutic
of suspicion ever more important.

Peter (or am I?)

Dr. Peter M. Head
Tyndale House
36 Selwyn Gardens
Cambridge CB3 9BA
Tel: 01223 566607
Fax: 01223 566608
email: pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk

  • clarification, Steve Black, 02/27/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: clarification, Jefrey B. Gibson, 02/27/2001
    • Re: clarification, Peter M. Head, 02/27/2001