gmark - Re: Judas and Jesus

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Judas and Jesus
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 02:04:06 EST

This is a short response to Ted Weeden's recent post.  Ted listed several
Psalms of David that he believes parallel the prayers of Jesus at Gethsemane.
 I believe the most important Psalm used by Mark was the following one:

"I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word. My
eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your
promises. Hear my voice in accordance with your love; preserve my life, O
LORD, according to your laws. Those who devise wicked schemes are near, but
they are far from your law." (Psalm 119: 147-150)

The psalm above seems to be the one Mark had in mind when he wrote the
passage below about the disciples eyes not staying open while wicked schemes
were being hatched against Jesus:

"Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. 'Simon,' he said
to Peter, 'are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour? Watch and
pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but
the body is weak.' "  (Mark 14:37-38)  "Look, the Son of Man is betrayed into
the hands of sinners. Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!"  (14:41-42)

On another matter, Ted wrote, "It cannot be accidental either that Mark chose
a betrayal kiss as the sign Judas gave the arresting party to identify
Jesus."  He notes that Funk/Jesus Seminar states that Absalom "launched his
revolt by exchanging a kiss with David (2 Sam 14:33)."

However, that's not exactly what happened at 14:33: "Then the king summoned
Absalom, and he came in and bowed down with his face to the ground before the
king. And the king kissed Absalom." There was no "exchanging a kiss."  It was
the one to be betrayed--David--who did the kissing, not the other way around.

Ted also notes that "Absalom, who engineered the conspiracy against his
father David, 'stole the hearts of the men of Israel' from his father (15:6),
by this cunning practice:  'whenever a man came near him to do obeisance to
him, he would put out his hand, and take hold of him and kiss him.' (15:5).
It is clear to me that Mark's idea to have Jesus betrayed by a kiss came from
Absalom's betrayal kisses."

But, I can't agree there, either.  The correspondence Mark would have been
looking for is not there in Absalom's kisses.  He never kissed his father,
whom he betrayed, and the men he embraced and kissed certainly weren't
betrayed.  Absalom kissed people to get them to like him, not so he could
hurt them.

Thus, there is no record of Absalom kissing a person who's then betrayed by
him.  Furthermore, the model for Mark's Judas is Ahihophel, David's
counselor. A better model for Judas' betrayal kiss would by Joab, who
embraced Amasa, kissed him, then stabbed him in the belly.

I do agree, of course, with Ted (and others) that Jesus is modeled after
David, and Judas is Ahithophel, and that one or more of the psalms may have
been the model for Jesus' lament.

Thanks, Ted, for the helpful summary of Funk/Jesus Seminar's position, as
well as your own ideas.

Regards,

Joe Alward
Joseph F. Alward, Ph.D.