gmark - Jesus' Confession - Peter's Denial

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: HStaiti AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Jesus' Confession - Peter's Denial
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:30:23 EST

Mark 14.53-72 – Jesus’ Confession, Peter’s Denial

A.     Peter distances himself from Jesus’ accusers (53-54)
     B.        The Sanhedrin determine to put Jesus to death (55-61)
            C.               Jesus declares himself before
                             the Sanhedrin
(62)
     B’.       The Sanhedrin denounce Jesus (63-65)
A’      Peter disowns Jesus three times (66-72)

The opening scene sets the stage for the denial episode at the end of the
passage and encases the mockery of law in the center. Here is see how Mark
composes the scene for us in such a manner as to elaboratethe injustice done
to Jesus
     Directly by his accusers
           His accusers do him injustice with an unjust
           and prejudicialtrial

     Indirectly by his followers
           They all have abandoned him except Peter,
           and he will denyknowing Jesus, not once, not twice,
           but three times

There is also the contrast between the way Jesus answers his accusers in the
Sanhedrin, and the manner in which Peter responds to his in thecourtyard

Narrative for Today
Today, we face the problems of denial in a different type of courtyards. We
may find ourselves silently standing by while the majestyof Christ is being
verbally abused and rejected in conversation, movies, at work. We may stand
by silently in the face of various forms of injustice. We may find ourselves
allowing others to mock God, or thefaith in our presence without so much as a
response for Jesus Christ.

Today, as we face the problems of a world hostile to our faith, let us take
our cue from Jesus himself, while we learn from Peter’s mistake. Although we
may regret our silence in the past, let us resolve to not be a silent witness
when it comes to our testimony of Jesus Christ. Let’s resolve to not stand
and allow “polite silence” to destroy the possibility of faith for others

This lesson may be found in its entirety at
http://evangelassemblyofgod.org/MK14F.html

Peace to you,
Harry Staiti
www.EvangelAssemblyOfGod.org (NEW DESIGN! Feb 18)

  • Jesus' Confession - Peter's Denial, HStaiti, 02/21/2001