gmark - Secret Mk

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Secret Mk
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:11:35 -0800

At 12:00 AM -0500 2/21/01, Kata Markon digest wrote:
I would like to hear reactions to my proposal in "The Open Tomb" (60-64; 96-105), namely
(a) that proto Mark was written in Rome before 70 under the aegis of Simon,
(b) that Secret Mark (- a radical post-70 revision of proto-Mark -), was written for his own ecclesia (did Mark flee to
Alexandria under Nero?),
(c) that Mark submitted his revision to Matthew for his approval as head of the 'mother community' somewhere in Syria
(-originally the Jerusalem community -)
(d) that relatively shortly afterwards Matthew composed his 'official' gospel, adopting the gist of Mark's new post-70
passion including his open tomb story, an approval of this 'Roman' gospel confirmed in his 'Peter and the keys' addition.
Matthew, moreover added much didactic material, correcting Mark's heavy emphasis on Paul's role in the molding of tradition
and excising certain passages in Secret Mark, f.i. re: the "neaniskos", to which Clement was referring..

How does this work with the known textual evidence - specifically concerning the added ending attached @ 16:9-20. I believe this ending is known mid 2nd cent. I think we could presume Matthew's redaction of Mk (Canonical) would of had a ressurrection appearance! If so, this framework doesn't leave any time for the ending to be lost!

  • Secret Mk, Steve Black, 02/21/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Secret Mk, Steve Black, 02/21/2001