gmark - Various questions

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Larry & Sharon Hooge" <thehooges AT home.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <GMark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Various questions
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:20:51 -0800

Greetings,

My name is Larry, and I live in the Vancouver, B.C. area of the world.  I'm just wondering if you could help me with a few questions.

1) Is there a place on the net where a person could go to find out where particular words or phrases are found in the Bible?  A place where I could type in the English word and get out all the possible matches in Greek (in all its possible variations)?

2) What is it about the stories in Mark 6.30 - 8.26 (eg., the feedings of the 5000 and 4000 ... and the walking on the water(?), etc) which should lead the disciples to finally recognize and acknowledge Jesus as the Christ?  It seems that Mark uses these stories to get the disciples to that very point (cf., 8.21-26).  But how are these stories intended to do that.  Is it just the powerfulness of these particular miracles.  Is it just that Mark/Jesus has built up his run of miracle stories to this pinnacle, and now, surely, they should be able to see the truth concerning Jesus?  Or is there something particularly Messianic in eg., the feedings, which should trigger this recognition in the disciples?

3) I was looking at the back to back, near identical chiasms in Mark 10.29-30.  (At least I think they're chiasms.)  I believe they run like this.  In the first, Mark lists the things that people leave for "[Jesus'] sake and for the gospel's sake".  They are

a  house
  b  brothers or sisters
     c  mother or father
  b' children
a'  farms

The question I have, is why does Mark/Jesus leave out 'father' in the chiasm which follows (the chiasm which lists the things followers shall recieve in exchange for what they left)?

a  houses
  b  brothers and sisters
     c  mothers ________
  b' children
a'  farms     ???

Thank you in advance for any insights I might receive from this inquiry.

Peace,

Larry.

  • Various questions, Larry & Sharon Hooge, 11/13/2000