gmark - Re: Greek text question

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Rikki E. Watts" <rwatts AT interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Greek text question
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 11:36:42 -0700

George,

> The edition I'm aware of is in English: _The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of
> Mark_

Mine's in English too; I was using an analogy ;-) to make the point that
although in Greek (= German), Mark's only explicit use of other texts is
everywhere and exlusively his OT (= works of Shakespeare), and yet McDonald
wants to tell me that it's really Odysseus (= Goethe) that's the dominant
paradigm. Why am I not convinced?

>> German, but he begins with direct quotes from Shakespeare, his prologue is
>> full of allusions to Shakespeare, and the only author he ever quotes from,
>> and frequently, is Shakespeare. And yet you tell me that his paradigm is
>> really Goethe, whom he never once quotes or even mentions?"

Rikk