gmark - Re: [loisy] GMark, Gentile Christianity, & Loisy Misrepresented?

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Yuri Kuchinsky <yuku AT clio.trends.ca>
  • Cc: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, crosstalk2 <crosstalk2 AT egroups.com>, Loisy List <loisy AT egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [loisy] GMark, Gentile Christianity, & Loisy Misrepresented?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:30:45 -0500

Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I would like to reassure the public that my presentation of the views of
> Alfred Loisy on the subject of dating of the gospels, and regarding their
> early versions being basically Jewish-Christian was accurate. These are
> the mature views of Loisy as he outlined them in the following volumes,
> originally published in French in 1930s,
>
> Loisy, Alfred Firmin, 1857-1940. The Origins of the New Testament = Les
> origines du Nouveau Testament. London: G. Allen and Unwin. 1950.
>
> Loisy, Alfred Firmin, 1857-1940. The birth of the Christian religion =
> (La naissance du Christianisme). London: G. Allen & Unwin. 1948.
>
> It is important to note that Loisy made major advances in his
> understanding of NT textual history in his later years. This includes his
> re-evaluation of authenticity of much of the Pauline literature, and of
> the status of the earliest versions of the gospels.

[snip]

> So, yes, generally he's a very late dater indeed of the final versions of
> the canonical gospels. He thinks that for the most part they reflect the
> state of Christian theology mid 2c. And his view that their earliest
> versions were basically Jewish-Christian (Ebionite, Quartodeciman) is very
> well reflected in his later writings. If there's further interest in this
> subject, I can certainly provide the necessary citations.

Yes, please do. And it would be helpful to have some information on why Loisy
changed the views on the date of the final edition of GMark, if this is
indeed, as you claim, what he did.

And assuming that he did change his views, there is still the matter of why
one should accept so readily, as you seem to do, the latter views over the
former. That a scholar's later views are indeed "better". let alone more
"mature", than his earlier ones is not necessarily the case. Witness, for
instance, the example of John Allegro whose "mature" views on the DSS and the
origins of Christianity cannot by any stretch of the imagination be said to be
an improvement upon, let alone more worthy of consideration, than his earlier
writings on these matters.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

  • Re: [loisy] GMark, Gentile Christianity, & Loisy Misrepresented?, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 07/18/2000