gmark - Re: gmark digest: June 30, 2000

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Karel Hanhart <K.Hanhart AT net.HCC.nl>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: June 30, 2000
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:57:15 +0200

Kata Markon digest wrote:

> Kata Markon Digest for Friday, June 30, 2000.
>

> Kata Markon digest wrote:
>
>> Kata Markon Digest for Friday, June 30, 2000.
>>
>> 1. On Mark 16:8
>> 2. RE: On Mark 16:8
>> 3. RE: On Mark 16:8

>> Subject: On Mark 16:8
>> From: "George Young" <gwyoung AT morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
>> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:22:42 -0230
>>
>> Dear George,

Just in case you havenot as yet consulted the bookstores on the Internet

I wrote some 600 pages on Mark 16,8. The book is entitled The Open Tomb
- A New
Approach.
Mark's Passover Haggadah (±72 CE). You find the details in the Amazon
listing
under my name or under The Open Tomb or Empty Tomb. The number of pages is
not
encouraging (!) - but it may be worthwhile.
My main thesis is that the present author (the John Mark of Acts)
REWROTE an
earlier passover story used in the pre-70 ecclesia. The radical revision was
needed in
the aftermath of the Fall of Jerusalem in 70, becuase of the delay of the
parousia.
The open tomb story is the new post-70 ending of this revision (- Paul
doesnot know
of an socalled "empty tomb" -). The reference to "Galilee" in the words of
the young
man in the tomb (16,7) helps the first readers (in Rome or Alexandria) a) to
re-read
this second edition of the Gospel and to be encouraged in their faith
remembering
Jesus' preaching and liberating work in Galilee in spite of persistent
opposition and
b) to take courage as the risen Jesus will be with his ecclesia in the new
exile (in
the Galil ha-goyim) until the End.. The abrupt ending is deliberate to
achieve this
double meaning.
Much sucess with your research. your Karel Hanhart..

> [...]
> =8Cgood news=B9 (Isa 40:9; cf. 52:7-9). But in the end, it was =8Cfear=B9
> that
> threatened the full realization of Yahweh=B9s promised deliverance. Perhaps
> Mark, in recalling that these first witnesses of true Israel=B9s
> =8Cresurrection=B9 where silenced by their fear, also has in mind the
> possibility that members of his audience might also be tempted, out of fear=
> ,
> to be silent, to succumb to the unbelief of the =8Cfaithless generation=B9.
> On
> the other hand, Mark has already explained that it was in Galilee (cf. 16:7=
> )
> that Jesus prevailed over the power of the watery deep (4:35ff), with all o=
> its deathly connotations, and this in spite of the fear of the disciples.
>
> Perhaps, then, in addition to the warning, there is also a word of
> encouragement to his audience. Even if they too have been tempted to be
> silent, they need to recognize that Jesus has still conquered. And if, for
> Mark, =8Cdiscipleship evidently involves a continuing struggle for the
> victor=
> of faith over unbelief=B9 (Marshall, 224; and we would add =8Cfear=B9),
> then mayb=
> being reminded of Jesus=B9 great victory will provide the added strength and
> encouragement they need to proclaim the gospel in the face of hostility and
> rejection.
>
> > From: Mike Parsons <Mike_Parsons AT baylor.edu>
> > Date: 30 Jun 00 08:02:46 -0600
> > To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> > Subject: [gmark] RE: On Mark 16:8
> >=20
> > Reply to: RE: [gmark] On Mark 16:8
> > i'm not sure the following works investigate "the more sardonic and ironi=
> > reading of Mark in light of 16:8" but you would want to check, Frank Kerm=
> ode,
> > The Genesis of Secrecy (who may come close--it's been a while since i rea=
> > that) and Magness, something like Suspended Endings, which examines mark =
> 16 in
> > light of other 'open-ended' texts from antiquity. closure vs. anti/closur=
> e was
> > for a while a 'hot' topic literary studies; i think esp. of m. torgovnick=
> ,
> > closure in the novel, and the more postmodern work by d.a. miller.
> > cheers,
> > mikeal parsons
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to gmark as: rwatts AT interchange.ubc.ca
> .edu
> >=20
>
> ---
>
> END OF DIGEST
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to gmark as: K.Hanhart AT net.HCC.nl

  • Re: gmark digest: June 30, 2000, Karel Hanhart, 07/14/2000