gmark - Re: The Temple and the fig tree

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeff Krantz" <jkrantz AT optonline.net>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Temple and the fig tree
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 21:24:28 -0500

Rather than understanding Jesus, in Mark's intercalation of the "cleansing"
(always a misnomer, IMHO) and the fig tree, I have taken Jesus act, as
understood by Mark, to be an enacted, prophetic demonstration of what he
believed would happen.

Yes, it is understood that the prophetic word carried with it the power to
accomplish that which it foresaw, but Mark seems, at least to me, to
undermine that somewhat by his choice of optative mood as Jesus "curses" the
fig tree, the symbolic equivalent of the temple for him. Rather than
"cleanse" the Temple, Jesus recognizes that it is no longer the season for
fruit from this "tree" and demonstrates what will happen to it. Mark uses
the fig tree to show us more clearly Jesus' perception of the Temple.

For me, though, both these portions of the intercalation take second place
to Peter's response to the withered tree (read "destroyed Temple"). I have
always taken this set of combined pericopes to be Mark's attempt to deal,
indirectly, with the destruction of the Temple, and to offer a pastoral
response. ("Have faith in God.") Mark then has Jesus go on to present the
closest thing Mark has to "The Lord's Prayer." (11:24-25)

For this reason, I have always preferred a post-70CE date for Mark. He
seems so clearly (at least to me) to be responding to the shock at the
demise of the Temple.

But "cleansing" of the Temple has always been too strong a word for this
episode, as has "cursing" of the fig tree.

Yours,

Jeff Krantz

Jeffrey Krantz
jkrantz AT optonline.net