gmark - Re: Markan midrash

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <hurtadol AT div.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Markan midrash
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:21:57 +000

Personally, I am not (yet?) able to see a direct *allusion* to the Isa
22:16 passage and the themes/events there in Mark's description
of the tomb "cut from rock"; but I could easily imagine that a
regular reader of the Greek Bible for whom the Greek Bible
supplied the most prized (only??) example of proper/sacred writing
style might well use phrasing derived from biblical texts. That is,
the use of phrasing from literary sources is not necessarily the
same thing as an intentional *allusion*.

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College
Mound Place
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
Phone: 0131-650-8920
Fax: 0131-650-6579
E-mail: L.Hurtado AT ed.ac.uk

  • Markan midrash, K. Hanhart, 01/18/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Markan midrash, Professor L.W. Hurtado, 01/18/2000