gmark - Haggodoth in GMark?

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Haggodoth in GMark?
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 18:55:54 -0600

Philip B Lewis wrote:

> On Sat. Nov.6, George W. Young of Queens College, St. John's NF wrote:
>
> >However, one objection to viewing
> the sea-walking narrative as a 'displaced resurrection appearance' is the
> pre-gospel connection to the feeding of the five thousand - something
> highlighted by the narrators aside in v.52 - which seems to link the
> sea-walk with Jesus' pre-death ministry. If you don't mind, how would you
> respond to this pre-gospel connection? (NB: by 'pre-gospel' I mean prior to
> canonical Mark)<
>
> The Feeding of the 5K is one of four _haggadoth_, the others being: Healing
> of the Gerasene Demoniac, Healing of a hemorhaging woman, and deliverance of
> the disciples from a storm, all told interpreting Ps.107, 1-32 which was
> part of the Rosh Hasana liturgy for making votive offerings in the Temple.
> They had been collected in a narrative telling of Jesus' voyaging with the
> disciples on the Sea of Galilee. That was Mark's Boat Source.

At the risk of showing my ignorance, would you mind telling me what evidence
supports (a) your claim that Ps 107 was part of a 1st cent CE Rosh Hashana
liturgy, let alone one for making votive offerings in the Temple and (b) that
AMark was grounding the feeding, exorcism, etc. stories on it?

Yours,

Jeffrey
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

  • Haggodoth in GMark?, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 11/07/1999