freetds - Re: [freetds] Using freetds to access MS SQL

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Using freetds to access MS SQL
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 10:53:46 +0100

Il giorno dom 17 lug 2022 alle ore 07:16 Igor Korot
<ikorot01 AT gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Hi, (Frediano),
> I am trying to configure the FreeTDS access from my Linux box
> to the SQL Server tha is running on Windows.
>
> This is my odbc.ini part:
>
> [code]
> [freetds_MSSQL]
> Driver=freeTDS
> Description=FreeTDS MS SQL Connection
> Trace=Yes
> Server=192.168.1.91
> Database=draft
> Port=1433
>
> [/code]
>
> And this is my odbcinst.ini part:
>
> [code]
> [freeTDS]
> Description=FreeTDS Driver
> Driver=/usr/lib64/libtdsodbc.so
> FileUsage=1
>
> [/code]
>
> On Windows I turned off my Comodo firewall and made
> sure that Remote Access is turned on on the server.
>
> Then I tried to connect with:
>
> isql freetds_MSSQL sa <pwd>
>
> And got:
>
> [code]
> Could not SQLConneect
> [/code]
>
> Could you please help?
>
> Thank you.
>
> On Windows

Hi,
the way I usually troubleshoot this is
1- verify I can connect with simple telnet or similar. If not I need
to open the port or firewall
2- try tsql. It's more direct and I can simply enable logs with
TDSDUMP (usually TDSDUMP=stderr ./tsql ...)
3- try upper level tools, maybe enabling tracing (TDSDUMP or ODBC trace)

Looking above configuration
- make sure isql is picking up these files from these locations.
Sometimes I write in ~/.odbc.ini and ~/.odbcinst.ini, it seems most
DMs read from these files.
- where did /usr/lib64/libtdsodbc.so come from?
- usually ODBC trace is better enabled from odbcinst.ini.

Regards,
Frediano