freetds - Re: [freetds] No output file when building FreeTDS for MacCatalyst

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] No output file when building FreeTDS for MacCatalyst
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:26:53 -0400

On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:53:09 +0100
Yannik Hörnschemeyer <y.hoernschemeyer AT gmx.de> wrote:

> I am trying to build FreeTDS 1.3.6 for MacCatalyst using auto tools.
> The output I should get should be a libsybdb.a file, but I am only
> getting a libsybdb.la <http://libsybdb.la/> file. I have trouble
> identifying the actual issue in the log and finding an appropriate
> solution. Does anybody recognize the problem and knows how to fix it?

Hi Yannik,

The good news is I did the following successfully. I guess I'd have to
recommend my procedure.

1. Cloned current FreeTDS with git
2. ./autogen.sh
3. make distclean
4. mkdir build && cd build
5 ../configure # warning about daemon(3) deprecation for pool
6. make

I used:

$ (autoconf --version && automake --version) | grep GNU &&
printf "%s:" libtool && libtool -V
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69
License GPLv3+/Autoconf: GNU GPL version 3 or later
automake (GNU automake) 1.16.2
<https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html>
libtool: Apple Inc. version cctools-986

$ cc --version
Apple clang version 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.27.3)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin21.2.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin

I have:

$ sw_vers
ProductName: macOS
ProductVersion: 12.1
BuildVersion: 21C52

I got:

$ find * -name libsyb\*
src/dblib/libsybdb.la
src/dblib/.libs/libsybdb.lai
src/dblib/.libs/libsybdb.dylib
src/dblib/.libs/libsybdb.a
src/dblib/.libs/libsybdb.5.dylib
src/dblib/.libs/libsybdb.la

I didn't try to configure for ODBC, because in your message the file
you want is the DB-Lib libsybdb. If you're picking up ODBC by accident
because configure is detecting it, you can use --disable-odbc to defeat
it.

> As you can see in my build script,

I don't think you attachment was attached....

> ?with-odbc-nodm. I did this instead of specifying the unixODBC
> driver since it is not built for MacCatalyst which caused errors.

If you do need ODBC, I would not use with --with-odbc-nodm option.
Instead, I would install unixodbc with HomeBrew, and set
--with-unixodbc=DIR, where "DIR" is wherever HomeBrew deposits files.

HTH.

--jkl

  • Re: [freetds] No output file when building FreeTDS for MacCatalyst, James K. Lowden, 03/19/2022