freetds - [freetds] freerpc: a dblib rpc debugging tool

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: frank <fandrieu AT gmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] freerpc: a dblib rpc debugging tool
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 18:27:54 +0100

Hi all,

I'm a long time user and wanted to contribute someting I recently worked on.

While trying to add RPC support to the php pdo_dblib driver (
https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/2914 ), I put together a simple
debugging tool based on freebcp. It has grown to something of limited use,
but flexible enough to put the dblib rpc api to the test.
It's available here: https://github.com/fandrieu/freetds/commits/freerpc.

In the process I found some bugs and just opened two pull requests to help
improve blob support.

Anyway, would this be valuable addition to the distribution ? would anyone
care to comment on this implementation, notably the use of the dblib API ?

Thanks !
frank.

PS: I didn't write a manpage, but for those interested: the first argument
is the procedure name then parameters values are passed with the "-p value"
option repeated.
Parameters can be configured using those options before -p:
-t = data type (persists for other params)
-n = name
-N = is null, ignore value
-o = is output
-f = value is a file with raw data
The usual -S -U etc are used to setup the connection.

Here's some usage examples:
freerpc sp_help -p sp_help -S mssqlf
reerpc sp_executesql -p "select a=@a" -p "@a varchar(max)" -t char -n @a -p
test -S mssql
freerpc sp_executesql -p "set @i=@i+1" -p "@i int out" -t int1 -op 4
freerpc sp_executesql -p "set @b=upper(@a)" -p "@a text, @b text out" -t
text -fp configure -oNfp CONFIGURE -S mssql

  • [freetds] freerpc: a dblib rpc debugging tool, frank, 11/17/2017