freetds - [freetds] FreeTDS and buffering on client side

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: LacaK <lacak AT zoznam.sk>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] FreeTDS and buffering on client side
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 12:38:40 +0200

Hi *,

I would like to ask how FreeTDS performs buffering on client side.
I use dblib as my client library (I do not set there DBBUFFER using "dbsetopt")

I am trying simulate network failure in such way:
1. connect to MS SQL Server using dbopen()
2. I send SQL select using dbcmd(), dbsqlexec()
3. then I call dbresults()
4. here I pause program and unplug network cable to simulate network error
5. next I process rows in loop calling dbnextrow()

Strange thing is that I can perform step 5 also when network cable is unpluged. So I have suspection, that all rows from select are already somewhere on client side. Probably handled already by underlaying libtds ?

What is going to happen? Why I can still read rows when there is already broken network connection ?
Thanks

-Laco.