freetds - [freetds] TDS_VERSION auto doesn't try from 7.4 nor preserve bad username/password error

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Johnny Yan <jyan AT tableau.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] TDS_VERSION auto doesn't try from 7.4 nor preserve bad username/password error
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 15:21:54 -0000

Hi,

We accidentally found in your source code that the TDS_VERSIONs are defined
in src/tds/config.c, 7.4 as the latest. However in src/tds/login.c, if
TDS_VERSION is set to auto it started guessing TDS version from 7.3, not 7.4!

/*
* A major version of 0 means try to guess the TDS version.
* We try them in an order that should work.
*/
const static TDS_USMALLINT versions[] =
{ 0x703
, 0x702
, 0x701
, 0x700
, 0x500
, 0x402
};

Why doesn't it start guessing from tds version 7.4?

Meanwhile, when connecting with TDS_VERSION "auto", the bad username/password
error is not preserved. It just gave an unknown error. Does the team have a
plan to make this particular error more clear, i.e. preserve the bad
username/password error?

Thanks,
Johnny

  • [freetds] TDS_VERSION auto doesn't try from 7.4 nor preserve bad username/password error, Johnny Yan, 04/03/2017