freetds - Re: [freetds] Fault injection via man-in-the-middle proxy?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Fault injection via man-in-the-middle proxy?
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 21:02:56 +0000

> (New to the list, new to TDS: I may have serious misconceptions!)
>
> I'm thinking it would be useful - in order to help diagnose certain
> client-side reliability issues due to network problems we occasionally
> experience that lead to database connections returning errors (at the
> client-side) - to have a sort of man-in-the-middle proxy that could do
> SQL-oriented fault injection - e.g. returning errors at the protocol level,
> or simulating network faults (e.g., abnormal delays, or timeouts).

For network tools you should probably find lot of tools. Even using
VPN software and stopping
them can give good tests.

> (It's hard for me to find the right keywords for a google search as it
> turns out that "SQL Fault Injection" has a completely different meaning ...)
>
> So ... a couple of questions:
>

> a) Does this even make sense?

Maybe

> b) Is there an existing tool that'll do it?

Not as far as I know

> c) Can I use FreeTDS to create a tool that'll do it?
>
> * Does this sound like a promising approach (assuming the answer to
> point a is "yes")?
>
> * As to point c - an earlier message on this list pointed a
> requester to tdspool as a starting point.
>
> o Is tdspool a good starting point?

Can be, it's actually a SQL proxy.

> o This message/response was in 2010 and the response was that tdspool was
> subject to bit rot - I do see now in git that it was last updated only 4
> months ago ... so I assume it is working now?

Yes, has some limits like sql users and not encryption but works. On
the other side it reads packet content only at login time.

> * Assuming a = yes, b = no, c = yes and I go ahead with this, do
> you think the end result would be of general interest?

Don't know.

> Thanks! - David
>
> P.S. The environment is Windows, ODBC, SQL Server, and the client is a C++
> application.

All FreeTDS is quite portable.

Frediano