freetds - Re: [freetds] How to connect Microsoft Sql server from R studio using freeTDS instead of RODBC package

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] How to connect Microsoft Sql server from R studio using freeTDS instead of RODBC package
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 11:39:54 +0100

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Manohar Reddy <manu.reddy52 AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My MS sql server and R environment running on my local machine and the
>> respective port was opened, from this link (http://www.freetds.org/
>> userguide/osissues.htm.) i didn't get much information ,can you please help
>> out me is there any way that can i download it and configured it on
>> widnows 8.
>
> Frediano will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a
> binary distribution file
> you can just download and install.
> You need to grab the source code, get either MSVC or MinGW compiler and
> compile
> the software yourself.

About installer you are right, about binaries I would download
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/FreeTDS/freetds/build/643/job/ct9rf92mw0vcyv3l/artifacts
or
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/FreeTDS/freetds/build/643/job/h5h5h2oekntgaqg3/artifacts
(32 or 64 bit) and register tdsodbc.dll with regsvr32 utility.
You should download and install OpenSSL from
https://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html before.

In win32 directory there is an old source for a NSIS installer but
probably would require some additional library (MSVC/OpenSSL).

> Then just place the resulting binary in the Windows folder somewhere
> and create the
> DSN.
>
> Thank you.
>
> P.S.: Of course if you get any issues don't hesitate to post again...

Frediano