freetds - Re: [freetds] DNS lookups not working with freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Peter Deacon <peterd AT iea-software.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] DNS lookups not working with freetds
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 13:48:06 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016, Frediano Ziglio wrote:

The commit that introduced the flag is
https://github.com/FreeTDS/freetds/commit/25edb8ef.

I don't remember exactly but I don't remember all the problems. I
think that without the flag some environment can send multiple queries
and you increase the connection timeout in environment where the DNS
do not return AAAA records. Unfortunately these environments were
quite common :-(
I don't know... possible todos/solutions:
- look at the old ML thread(s) and try to understand why this flag was
used (if I remember there were multiple threads);
- add a freetds.conf option;
- if getaddrinfo returns EAI_NONAME try without the flag. This would
slow down connections only if users really used a wrong host name,
should not that common.

Hi Frediano,

Thanks, think I will just patch this locally. Using a very old environment (compatibility) that seems to be causing this behavior. After giving it more thought unlikely anyone would benefit from attempting to workaround what is now ancient history.

I also misread getaddrinfo documentation about when default settings apply. ai_flags = 0 would turn off AI_ADDRCONFIG across the board which I wouldn't want.

~Peter