freetds - Re: [freetds] OS X build dies, missing ssl.h

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] OS X build dies, missing ssl.h
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 12:49:23 -0500

> On Apr 22, 2016, at 11:19 AM, Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is there something reasonable that could make configure not detect the
>>> unmaintained bits of the OpenSSL libraries that have no associated
>>> headers in current OS X?
>>>

>> So... Mac OS X removed the possibility to use the SSL part of OpenSSL
>> project but they still say that the library is present and working?
>> Looks like a bug to me.

They did it this way intentionally. The library is still there for existing
applications that have already linked against it, but the headers have been
removed to prevent developers from building new applications using it. Given
that the OpenSSL API has been a moving target that has broken binary
compatibility, their solution, while a bit extreme, is not completely insane.

>> I think the "solution" would be to do a more accurate check (check
>> that a small SSL_read test can be compiled and linked correctly
>> including the openssl/ssl.h header).
>> The mail suggest to use a different library. Not that easy to do. Is
>> anyway GnuTLS an option (is it installed by default in Mac OS X) ?

No, there’s no GnuTLS by default. I believe it can be built from source and
OpenSSL definitely can for people who need it.

> Craig,
> can you try current master version?
>
> Did some improvements on OpenSSL detection.

That did the trick, thanks:

$ grep SSL include/config.h
/* Define if you have the OpenSSL. */
/* #undef HAVE_OPENSSL */