freetds - [freetds] Freetds and Unicode

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Hugo Freire <hfreire AT abajar.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Freetds and Unicode
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2015 12:36:40 +0200

Hi,

I'm using Freetds from 4 years ago and works perfectly. Now we are trying to allow to store Unicode characters in sql server.
We have detected that we can store without problems any character from first plane of Basic Multilingual Plane https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(Unicode)#Basic_Multilingual_Plane, but not able to store any character from other planes.
In the Freetds documentation I can read "At some future time, FreeTDS aims to support Unicode and other multi-byte character sets."
After making some tests, we was able to store all Unicode characters using "client charset ISO-8859-1".
Unfortunately we have an heterogeneous platform with windows and linux systems connecting to the same data, so the data stored by Freetds using ISO-8859-1 can't be read by .net application for example.

Our conclusion was that FreeTDS is unable to store all Unicode characters in SQL Server in UCS-2.

Is it correct?
Are there any patch that allow to store all UCS-2 characters?
Is posible create a patch to allow this?
Can someone guide me to start to create this patch?

Best regards,
Hugo