freetds - Re: [freetds] Next stable release

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: LacaK <lacak AT zoznam.sk>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Next stable release
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 14:30:37 +0100

Dňa 31.1.2015 o 17:36 Frediano Ziglio napísal(a):
Frediano Ziglio wrote / napísal(a):

Hi,
is there any plan, or time estimation for next (post 0.91) stable release
of
FreeTDS ?
(as it is more than 3 years after 0.91 was released)
If not, then is current git master stable enough?
(or are there any work in progress changes?)
Thanks
-Laco.

Hi,
I have to say that the code state is quite in a wonderful state.
Unfortunately the project state is not. James mainly left the project
so I'm the only guy left. I still miss some access (for instance the
snapshots work not correctly but I can't actually fix them).

The code. Tests are more and run better than 0.91. There are many
improvements and mssql 2008 protocol is supported. dblib can handle
newer protocols (beside some small restrictions due to protocol
changes). The only reasons current tests does not fully pass are not
regressions (same tests would fail on 0.91) and are due to very
restrictive checks.

Okay this is good news
IMO if you do not have on your To-Do list any important changes, then it is
time to make new release ...
Of course I understand, that may be it is not so easy prepare new release

I noticed that there was added in dblib new struct "DBCOL2" with support in
function "dbtablecolinfo"
DBCOL2 has added "TypeDeclaration" DBCHAR[256] member.
AFAIU this member uses "on_server.column_type" and "on_server.column_size"
and formats textual representation of data type like "CHAR(20)" or
"NVARCHAR(10)".
It is useful, but I must parse on client side this string, when I need
obtain server column data type.

Would it be possible add one or two more members to DBCOL2 (f.e.
ColumnType=on_server.column_type, ColumnSize=on_server.column_size) ?, which
will let client distinguish between:
- SYBVARCHAR and SYBCHAR (see dbcoltype)
- NCHAR, NVARCHAR and CHAR

What do you think about it ?

-Laco.
Would ServerType and ServerMaxLength suitable as name (there is
already Type and MaxLength) ? Same types as the other variables.

Of course. I agree.

But then new "TypeDeclaration" (already added to DBCOL2) is bit inconsistent in naming.
It should be then "ServerTypeDeclaration" or something with prefix "Server" also, IMO.

Thanks
-Laco.