freetds - [freetds] Retrieve large binary object via freebcp

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: klaas.decanniere AT telenet.be
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Retrieve large binary object via freebcp
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 16:32:36 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

I'm trying to retrieve a large binary entry from a database with freebcp. The
database is on a remote windows server (sql server), the data should be
downloaded to a linux machine.
The data is in fact a ZIP file and can be up to 4 Gb in size.

The query in itself works both in sql server management studio and in freebcp
as the correct object is retrieved

On windows and using bcp as a client, I can sort-of retrieve the "binary
blob" using the following format file:
11.0
1
1 SQLBINARY 8 0 "" 1 BinaryContent ""

(the file as written is larger than the original (padding??) so that some
unzip utilities can't read it, but it can be made to work)

When I try this on linux with freebcp, I get complaints:
bcp: Unrecognized datatype found in format file

Looking around for an alternative datatype I tried SYBBINARY, but this ends
in
Msg 20049, Level 4
Data conversion resulted in overflow

How can I get the zipfile out of the database intact and unconverted and
unchanged?
(linuxODBC is also installed if that helps)

Thank you very much for your help,

Klaas

Freetds is version 0.91 on Gentoo linux, the database is SQL Server 2008.