freetds - Re: [freetds] TDS Protocol Version

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] TDS Protocol Version
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 08:13:36 -0400

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:56:54 +0530
Vipul Sharma <vipsharma.sharma AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm somehow at a loss in understanding what could be the reason for my
> application always opening 7.1 connections.

As I said, it was a hard-coded upper limit in the release version. I
don't remember why anymore; you could search the archives and changelog
for SYBEVERDOWN. I know it was discussed. The simple fact was that
db-lib couldn't handle some particular datatype at that time. The
choices were to restrict the TDS version or put the application at risk
of abnormal termination.

> Is this because of the way my library is compiled ? Any other ideas
> on how can i troubleshoot this issue ?

If you know you're using db-lib and you want to use a higher TDS
version, I recommend using the nightly snapshot.