freetds - Re: [freetds] Continuous Integration: Running tests with Travis CI

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Marc Abramowitz <msabramo AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Continuous Integration: Running tests with Travis CI
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 17:22:02 -0700

On Oct 9, 2013, at 4:39 PM, "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Oct 2013 08:56:27 -0700
> Marc Abramowitz <msabramo AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Any interest in setting up Travis CI to run the FreeTDS test suite
>> automatically on every commit to git?
>
> What do you need from us, Marc?

I think the main thing is we have to rig up the FreeTDS unit tests so that
they can get the server credentials from environment variables rather than
the PWD file. This is so we can use built-in encryption features of Travis CI
to keep the credentials secret so they are not abused.

I have a PR on Gitorious that modifies one of the dblib test suite to use
such environment variables. What I didn't realize until later is that there
are several unittest directories and each one duplicates logic for reading
PWD (and they are very similar but not always identical). So this PR is not
really going to work for all of the tests and it would be somewhat invasive
to modify all the test suites. So I've been thinking of abandoning that idea
and instead writing a small script that reads the environment variables and
writes a PWD file. This is easy and non-invasive. If you guys want to
refactor the PWD reading logic, that's cool too - I just wasn't going to try
that because I figured there was a high chance of me screwing something up.

If you agree with my approach, I can send a PR for it. And in the same PR or
a different one, I would add a .travis.yml file, which is essentially a
YAMLized Makefile that tells Travis how to build and run the tests. It also
has encrypted environment variables in it with the server credentials.

Then you or I would set up a GitHub mirror of Gitorious.

And then the owner of the GitHub mirror has to do a 1 minute song and dance
where they sign into Travis CI with GitHub credentials and flip a switch so
that Travis gets notified of new commits to the GitHub repo.