freetds - Re: [freetds] FW: 0.82 freebcp: -h option seems to be broken

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FW: 0.82 freebcp: -h option seems to be broken
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 22:41:42 -0400

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 12:12:48 +0200
Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't remember why I removed regex but probably was a portability
> issue. Windows for instance does not support regex. Also the bug
> "Having two kinds of REs is a botch." is not that great. I would
> personally use only extended syntax or even use PCRE
> (http://www.pcre.org/) library instead, it's very portable! And
> well.. Perl re are even much more powerful too! Using POSIX regex
> where available and another library on other systems could be a pain.

I think it was a portability issue. I have a suggestion for a
replacement library, though. No dependencies, and very nice
provenance:

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spr09/cos333/beautiful.html

and something like 30 lines of code. I think it would serve our
purposes. If not, I would suggest using Henry Spencer's library. It's
in the public domain, and small enough to include with the FreeTDS
distribution. I compiled it for windows quite easily once upon a
time.

IMO PCRE is overkill for what we need.

Regular expressions, by the way, can make for hours of facinating
reading. I particularly Russ Cox on the subject,

http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/

in particular the first link

http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp1.html.

Regards,