freetds - [freetds] what are the best build-options for BOTH mssql AND sybase connectivity in same php module

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Knut Behrends <knb AT gfz-potsdam.de>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] what are the best build-options for BOTH mssql AND sybase connectivity in same php module
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 12:58:36 +0200

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask, because it's php-specific in a
way, but I'll ask anyway.

I need to run a PHP-based CMS (mysql-based) that makes connections to
two external RDBMs , Sybase ASE 12.5 and MSSQL 2012.

In the web server, the php 5.2.17 that I've been using for a few years
had the native client sybase built-int --sybase-ct build option
/opt/sybase/OCS-15_0 . That works well. MSSQL support is a new
requirement to me.

Can I run a "native client" for sybase, and a freetds-based client for
MSSQL in the same php .so module? Is that even possible?

or should both clients better be freetds based?

What about iconv build option for freetds and php?

What is best to put in freetds.conf and what are the protocol versions
options to use these days?

I think there is much misinformation, or deprecated information, to be
found on the web about this.

The most complicated data type that we have to store in both MSSQL and
Sybase is longer text strings. We do not use more complicated data types
like java classes or blobs, use weird character sets and collations.

BEst ragards, Knut Behrends

Knut Behrends

  • [freetds] what are the best build-options for BOTH mssql AND sybase connectivity in same php module, Knut Behrends, 05/31/2013