freetds - Re: [freetds] can't compile master without threads?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] can't compile master without threads?
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:05:43 -0400

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 09:00:05 +0000
Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> > In file included from ../../../include/tds.h:54:0,
> > from ../../../src/replacements/getpassarg.c:29:
> > ../../../include/tdsthread.h:216:2: error: #error Condition not
> > supported! *** Error code 1
> >
> > Suggestions?
> >
> > --jkl
> >

> Ehm.... disable --thread-safe? The other option is to write
> conditional code for no thread environment. Are you sure you are never
> using thread?

Let me try answering again, now that I've had some coffee....

I haven't investigated it carefully, but as of NetBSD 5.0 FreeTDS
couldn't be compiled with threads enabled. It's probably (?) because
of some autoconf snafu. I am planning to upgrade, and it might go
away. But I doubt I'm the only user who compiles without threading
support.

I've never cared. I don't like multithreaded programming, and I don't
understand why an I/O library should support it! It's not as if you
can process rows faster with multiple threads; the server is always the
bottleneck.

So, yes, "never" is pretty much where I stand re threads. :-) I also
think there must be other platforms -- and maybe even other programmers
-- that can't use or can't stand threads.

> The other problem is that some test require thread (they test thread
> behaviour).

Yes, but that's easy to work around, no? Wrap the whole thing in a #if
that tests whether threading is enabled. What more is needed?

Regards,