freetds - [freetds] tarballs again

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] tarballs again
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 17:08:15 -0500

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:05:23 -0500
Ken Collins <ken AT metaskills.net> wrote:

> Awesome! When will the build system update these files and to which
> version numbers? ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/freetds/

The overnight system generates new tarballs at 3:00 AM Eastern Time
whenever the repository changes. The tarball generation process has
been broken for a while because your humble maintainer hasn't been able
to warm up to git. I just modified the script again in the
undiminished hope of getting it right this time.

The version number is derived from "git describe": the branch name, and
the number of commits to that branch (in the Gitorious repository).
Use of that sequence number makes it a difficult to reconcile the
tarball's name with a particular revision in the git repository, but
does produce a number that grows over time, providing a hint to users
and packagers which version comes after which other. Together with the
date, it should be possible to know where a tarball came from; to be
absolutely certain, one could clone the repository and check out the
appropriate revision.

Two tarballs are generated: one for the current development version
(master) and one for the current release (today, 0.91). This permits
us to produce "patch releases" without further work when defects are
found in the current release.

The git command sequence for each working directory is now:

git clean
git reset --hard origin/$(BRANCH)
git clean
git pull

Previously, git reset was always using master, ruining the patch
releases. I added the last command, git pull, because the development
tarball wasn't picking up subsequent updates.

The development tarball generation is the one you're interested in
because that's the one to which Frediano added the -D option.

I see advantages to git, but not for someone like me who uses it only
every now and again. The process of cleaning a working copy of all
non-repository files and bringing it into sync with a known revision is
certainly harder than it was with CVS and Subversion.

--jkl

  • [freetds] tarballs again, James K. Lowden, 11/21/2012