freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS, unixODBC, SUSE Linux -- help!

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Randy Syring <rsyring AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS, unixODBC, SUSE Linux -- help!
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 08:45:13 -0400

Todd,

I have found TDSDUMP and TDSDUMPCONFIG to be invaluable when troubleshooting connection issues:

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/logging.htm

Randy Syring
Development & Executive Director
Level 12 Technologies <https://www.lev12.com/>
Direct: 502-276-0459
Office: 502-212-9913

Principled People, Technology that Works

On 10/09/2012 06:11 PM, Todd Brush wrote:
Unfortunately I see limited troubleshooting documentation related to my
specific problem within the document you referenced. When I check externals
sources, I find conflicting information, and references to various config
files that reference each other. I do not understand why this is so
convoluted!

In testing, tsql works sometimes, and osql does not, then I change a
configuration and test again, and not tsql does not work at ALL, and osql
output is further along, but still not successful. Frustration.

Please tell me what log files or config files I can send to shed light on
where I am obviously going wrong. I am trying to connect from a SUSE Linux
vm to MS SQL 2005 [Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4060.00 (X64) Mar 17
2011 13:06:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise
Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2]

Again, using the (now expired) Easysoft driver, I was able to set this up
in minutes and use their isql tool to run queries from a bash shell, from
the exact same vm to the exact same sql server. The problem must lie within
my freeTDS and or unixODBC configuration. It's not a network/protocol or
credentials/permissions issue.