freetds - [freetds] unixODBC+freeTDS: DSN-less connections with defaults

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "O'Brien, Jason K" <Jason.Obrien AT constellation.com>
  • To: "freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] unixODBC+freeTDS: DSN-less connections with defaults
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 12:09:45 -0400

We use DSN-less connections, so have unixODBC installed with an odbcinst.ini
entry pointing to freeTDS. This works great, except that I can't find a way
to set defaults for port or tds version. We have an existing system that runs
on windows, and I'd really like to provide connection string compatibility
between *NIX and the existing Windows code (which uses the SQL Server ODBC
driver, with default port and tds version).

>From everything I can find online, it looks like freetds.conf is the place
>to do this, but setting "tds version = 7.1" and "port = 1433" under [Global]
>have no effect. I strace'd the process, and it doesn't look like the TDS
>ODBC driver tries to read freetds.conf at all. I set the default TDS version
>when configuring, and that took care of that, but there doesn't seem to be
>an analogous option for port.

Is there any way to set the default port with the freetds odbc driver?

Thanks,
Jason