freetds - Re: [freetds] git push #1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] git push #1
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 01:21:02 -0400

On Wed, 23 May 2012 19:12:44 -0500
"Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, now we don't change ChangeLog every time, git log is enough,
> >> but at the time you did the patch we was still in cvs -> git
> >> transition
>
> Right, it was an illustration from the past but an indication of
> trouble that could happen if we keep using the ChangeLog (as James
> has been doing).

I've kept this message marked for months because I knew it should make
sense and I suspected something would go missing without ChangeLog.
Now that I have a vague idea what "cherry picking" means as a term of
art, I sort of get it.

I'm OK with "git rm ChangeLog". I do think, though, that the
distribution tarballs should hold a synthesized ChangeLog, presumably
generated from the git logs. That's a little tricky ISTM because it
has to start from the point of the most recent release. That
information could be held in a little marker file in the repository, if
that helped.

Suggestions?

--jkl

  • Re: [freetds] git push #1, James K. Lowden, 10/04/2012