freetds - Re: [freetds] Setting up Trusted Connections from Linux to MS Sql Server 2008 [was Re: Building on Gentoo]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Setting up Trusted Connections from Linux to MS Sql Server 2008 [was Re: Building on Gentoo]
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 13:52:06 -0400

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 11:04:22 -0400
Spencer Ogden <spencer AT spencerogden.com> wrote:

> I apologize if the FreeTDS list is not the
> right location as it is only tangentially related. A mailing list
> probably isn't the best place to post, but I hope this OK.

This mailing list is archived and the archive is indexed by search
engines. It's a fine place to recap your experience.

> 3) Setup Samba and winbind to join the Linux server to the AD

Is this in fact necessary? AFAIK active directory is a Kerberos
implementation. I would expect your Gentoo box to be able to
authenticate against AD with or without Samba.

> 5) Setup a simple test of unixODBC. [...] The two config files are
> odbcinst.ini and odbc.ini.
>
> IMPORTANT: unixODBC does not deal well with whitespace in it's config
> files. Do not use any leading whitespace in either file.

To clarify, odbc.ini is parsed by each driver, not by the DM. FreeTDS
has no problem that I know of with whitespace in odbc.ini.