freetds - Re: [freetds] [BUG] 0.91 SQL Anywhere SQLColumns

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel AT mamane.lu>
  • To: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • Cc: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] [BUG] 0.91 SQL Anywhere SQLColumns
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 18:13:57 +0200

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 11:36:39AM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:58:45 +0200
> Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel AT mamane.lu> wrote:

>> When connecting to SQL Anywhere 10.0.1.3716, SQLColumns() returns
>> wrong data: the columns are not at their expected
>> position, don't have the right name, don't contain the right data, ...
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms711683
>> (v=vs.85).aspx

> IOW, the column headings returned by SQLColumns in FreeTDS don't conform
> to the ODBC documentation.

That's annoying and a bug, but not extremely critical, as ODBC
applications usually access the columns by number, right?

> Sybase supports INFORMATION_SCHEMA nowadays, too. How long has that
> been true? Is there any reason to test a server and fall back to
> sp_columns?

SQL Anywhere 10 does not, or am I making something wrong?

1> SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS;
2> go
Msg 509 (severity 11, state 0) from :
"Erreur SQL Anywhere -140 : L'ID utilisateur 'INFORMATION_SCHEMA'
n'existe pas"

OTOH, the SYS schema looks interesting; the data will need some
sorting / column reordering / column renaming / post-processing, but
at least some of the information seems to be there.

--
Lionel