freetds - [freetds] Cannot connect to MS SQL 2008 server from OS X using FreeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Paul Wuersig <pwuersig AT nvidia.com>
  • To: "freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Cannot connect to MS SQL 2008 server from OS X using FreeTDS
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:46:14 -0700

The basic error looks like so:

$ tsql -H <hostname> -p 1433 -U <user>
Password:
locale is "en_US.UTF-8"
locale charset is "UTF-8"
using default charset "UTF-8"
Error 20017 (severity 9):
Unexpected EOF from the server
OS error 36, "Operation now in progress"
Error 20002 (severity 9):
Adaptive Server connection failed
There was a problem connecting to the server

This is identical to the error from using tsql to connect to *any* open port!

Connecting with "-S <server> -U <user>", or connecting to any closed port,
produces error 20009:
Error 20009 (severity 9):
Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is unavailable or does not exist
OS error 61, "Connection refused"

I can connect to the server just fine using MS SQL Server Management Studio
on Windows XP.

I've tried other MS-SQL servers, which produce the same errors.

I've tried FreeTDS 0.82, 0.91, and freetds-0.92.dev.20120312 (latest). Same
errors on all of them (although the errors are printed slightly differently
in 0.82).

I've tried 0.92 with "MS db-lib source compatibility" enabled, with the same
results.

The server has an entry in /usr/local/etc/freetds.conf. I've tried tds
version 0, 5.0, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, and 8.0, with the same results.

I've Googled this extensively, and I've tried essentially all the things
people have suggested for similar errors.

This is on a Mac running 10.7.3.

Suggestions, or things to try, or more information I can give that might
prove fruitful, are all appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul

contain
confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by