freetds - [freetds] error running freebcp on windows connecting to sql server db

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: a g <mewalig AT gmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] error running freebcp on windows connecting to sql server db
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 01:21:21 -0400

Hello,

I compiled both freetds 0.82 and 0.91, with both nmake and with mingw, and
in all cases freebcp fails to upload data (I also tried the latest release
candidate and current snapshots with the same outcomes). The only time it
will upload data at all is when the table has one column, and even then,
the data gets jumbled.

For example, if I have a table defined as:
create table testTable(
f1 varchar(10)
);

with input file contents of:
12
ab
cd

and I run freebcp to upload this file, then I should get three rows of
data. Instead, I get an error message saying that I attempted to copy an
oversized row and the copy failed, but the copy actually will have inserted
a row of jumbled data. If the input is shorter, I won't get the error
message, but one row (and only one row) will still be inserted with jumbled
data.

In the above input example, the inserted row will be a single row with the
following value:

ab
cd12

Has anyone seen this issue before? I would be happy to post more details,
but this seems like such a fundamental issue that I am hoping that anyone
who tries these steps will run into it.

Regards,

m g