freetds - Re: [freetds] CVS differencies

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] CVS differencies
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 22:47:44 -0500

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:45 PM, James K. Lowden wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:41:50 -0500
> "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com> wrote:
>
>> My advice would be to give up versioning individual files and rely on
>> the myriad ways of tracking history in the git repository.
>
> I'm sure that's sound advice, but something is lost. Granted,
> there no guarantees in this world, but ident(1) can yield marvelous
> clues about the composition of a binary, and a quick glance at the top
> of the file (or, say, the bottom of
> http://www.freetds.org/userguide/about.htm) at least tells the reader
> something about age and version of the file.

I know the drill. I've been putting versioning comments in the headers of
source files for a decade or three. There is a cost to switching to
something else, not only the conversion cost but the loss of simplicity and
familiarity. But once you put the 3D glasses on and start to see the action,
you'll probably like it. For example, with git's "blame" feature, you can
see who's been hacking on each and every line of dblib.c and web surf through
all of the interrelated changes:

<https://gitorious.org/freetds/freetds/blobs/blame/088e12ca5c642fc10dc4a41551043cd6c2838be4/src/dblib/dblib.c>

Side note: I can't say I'm terribly impressed with what gitorious does
compared to a standard gitweb set-up, so it might be worth considering better
hosting if that's still in the cards. It's even possible to continue using
SourceForge with git:
<http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Git>. I have no idea how
good it is.

> Yes, yes, I know: you're asking whatever happened to that migration I'm
> supposed to be working on. I wasn't happy with the first version. I'll
> give it another go Saturday.

No big rush on my account. Unfamiliar tools cause headaches and the law of
conservation of cranial pressure says that some folks will feel better
shortly but that you'll feel worse in the near term. Take your time and do
what you feel is right.

Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."