freetds - Re: [freetds] isql connects, tsql does not

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] isql connects, tsql does not
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 14:27:05 -0500

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:42:13 +0000
Bernard Moreton <itman AT tnauk.org.uk> wrote:

> Found a bug in osql (Ubuntu 11.10 Server), corrected in local copy,
> got reasonable results; in consequence set Servername=<NAME>
> in .odbc.ini.

Yes, this is fixed in the 0.91.

> freetds.conf defines [global] tds version = 7.1 (for SQLServer 2000
> 8.00) .odbc.ini sets TDS_version = 8.0
> TDSVER not set
> TDSDUMP shows
> net.c:210:Connecting to 192.168.1.14 port 1433
> (TDS version 4.2)

http://www.freetds.org/82/userguide/tdshistory.htm
http://www.freetds.org/82/userguide/choosingtdsprotocol.htm

You almost stumped me, Bernard, because it's been a few years since
0.82. I suspect the problem is that "7.1" is meaningless to 0.82. It
was called 8.0 in those days, before Microsoft released its
documentation.

There are only ever two choices for dealing with invalid input: halt or
ignore. FreeTDS ignores in this case; it falls back to the default.
That would explain why, whatever you do, you see 4.2.

I'll share with you the warning I provide my coworkers: beware of the
Google. When searching for documentation, look on the local machine
*first*, because that is presumably where the documentation for your
particular version is to be found. Using the 0.91 documentation so
handy on the web will mislead you in subtle ways if you're using
0.82. That appears to be what sandbagged you.

BTW, does osql indicate it uses freetds.conf? From your earlier post
I'd guess not.