freetds - [freetds] mars?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Björn Lundin <b.f.lundin AT gmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] mars?
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:46:44 +0100

Hi, I just found this freedts thingy,
and i read through the FAQ which states that MARS
is not supported, and some reason why so.

However, a bit further down, there is a passus that
suggests it _might_ be supported in the future?

So my question is if there are any plans to do so?

Reason I ask is that I work on a system, that was developed
many years ago (1990-ish) and that is uses the concept
of opening a cursor, looping through the recordset,
and use some of those values retrieved to update other
tables within that loop.
It was developed on Mimer, then ported to Oracle.

Last year, I ported it to MS sql-server, and boom/bang/crash,
the mars feature came up. I had not heard of dbs not supporting it
before, so I was a bit surprised.

Now, I found this Raspberri Pi system
<http://www.raspberrypi.org>
based on Arm and debian.

I thought it would be nice to show scalability by
porting the system to this device.

There's no Oracle client libs for arm, so I was very happy
to see freetds. But a bit sad when this mars-thingy
showed up.

--
/Björn

  • [freetds] mars?, Björn Lundin, 01/15/2012