freetds - [freetds] ubuntu client and microsoft sql server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: mark mitchell <markummitchell AT gmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] ubuntu client and microsoft sql server
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 15:20:12 -0800

Hello,
I am trying to connect an Ubuntu client to Microsoft SQL Server. The server
has only Windows NT Authentication, with no possibility of SQL Server
authentication getting added (corporate policy - it's not going to happen).

I use 'tsql -S MYSERVER -U ...' with a well-defined
/etc/freetds/freetds.conf file entry:
[MYSERVER]
dump file = /tmp/freetds.log
debug flags = 0xffff
host = ...
port = 1433
tds version = 7.0
use ntlmv2 = yes

I always get '*Login failed for user. The user is not associated with a
trusted SQL Server connection*'. According to
http://decipherinfosys.wordpress.com/2008/11/14/the-user-is-not-associated-with-a-trusted-sql-server-connection/this
could be because the two machines do not have a trust relationship
with them.

>From my naive understanding of domain trusts from
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/InterdomainTrusts.html,
setting up a trust relationship requires (quite reasonably) reconfiguring
both machines.

However, my first impression from the freetds documentation at
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/domains.htm was that freetds could handle
Windows NT authentication without any extra steps.

Some google searching found others with similar problems.

Perhaps the solution and/or domain trust requirements could be posted to
the freetds page cited above?

That being said, I am impressed with the software's ease of use, power and
documentation. And, I apologize if the answer is already available and I
have failed to find it.

Thanks
Mark Mitchell