freetds - Re: [freetds] dbsetlversion + DBVERSION_100

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: LacaK <lacak AT zoznam.sk>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] dbsetlversion + DBVERSION_100
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 07:21:03 +0100

Any comments, please?
TIA
-Laco.
*Hi James,*
Your patch lets someone use the Microsoft function to set the Sybase
version. It's OK; it will work. But it's also a little strange, and
could be the product of confusion.
*In theory I agree with you ;-))

*
Will someone connecting to a Sybase
database expect Microsoft db-lib semantics? Will they expect
dbdatecrack() to return months 1-12 instead of 0-11? Will they expect
dbconvert() to handle decimal/numeric types? Will they expect INT_EXIT
not to exit?
The answer *might* be Yes. One might have an application written for
Microsoft's db-lib that is now connecting to a Sybase database.
*Yes it is our case.
We write SQLConnector for FreePascal, which should be able connect to both Microsoft and Sybase servers
(with MS db-lob semantics)
What we need is posibility setup tds version without need of TDSVER or freetds.conf

*
My question to you, then, is, Why not use dbsetversion()?
*AFAIU dbsetversion() sets only global static variable "g_dblib_version", which is no more used.
So with dbsetversion() I can not set "tds version", like I can with dbsetlversion()

TIA
-Laco.
*