freetds - [freetds] tsql Error 100 (severity 11): unrecognized msgno

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Perl_to_SQL_Server <JGrenetier AT hotmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] tsql Error 100 (severity 11): unrecognized msgno
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 18:09:43 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

New to FreeTDS, I've got my first successfull query from the Linux tsql
command-
line, WOO-HOO !!!

Now before the rewarding:

1>

prompt, I've got what seems a benign:

Error 100 (severity 11): unrecognized msgno

I'll research the threads some more but THANKS if someone can already hint
towards the right direction..

Recommendations for improving the FreeTDS installation documentation, which
assumes (user exposure to all Unix/Linux things) a slight tad too much:

1) For a good while all my tsql connections attempts were unsucssessful. I
was
actually modifying the wrong freetds.conf, the one from extracting the fresh
freeTDS download.. it's probably obvious for regular Unix/Linux installers
that
it's:

etc/freetds.conf

not:

freetds-0.91/freetds.conf

that tsql reads, but nonetheless an easy possible pitfall for less seasonned
users.. I only discovered about etc/freetds.conf after issuing a find -
name "freetds.conf"

2) since there was mention of root user to be able to 'make install' in the
default /usr/local directory, somehow I related that to the -U of a:

tsql -S egOurServer -U user

as would be user on my Linux box, like if tsql needed some 'su' permissions
for
the client to proceed or something.. I didn't get at first that it was
actually
the authentication for SQL Server already.. I thought that this piece would
come later. So I had ended-up removing the -U option actually and was
satisfied
not to get the prompt anymore! There too it becomes really obvious once
you've
got all things working and well rounded, but an easy pitfall before that.

  • [freetds] tsql Error 100 (severity 11): unrecognized msgno, Perl_to_SQL_Server, 10/06/2011