freetds - [freetds] [documentation] using both freetds.conf and odbc.ini parameters

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Rébeli-Szabó Tamás <tamas.rebeli.szabo AT webvalto.hu>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Gyenese Péter <peter.gyenese AT webvalto.hu>
  • Subject: [freetds] [documentation] using both freetds.conf and odbc.ini parameters
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 11:12:16 +0200

Hello

I have just been through a setup connecting an Oracle database to an MS SQL database using FreeTDS. I want to express my thanks for this great project.

I also want to point out something that was not so straightforward for me reading the otherwise very good documentation.

When retrieving data from the server, I had '?' characters in the place of some accented characters. So I needed to set the "client charset" parameter, which is only doable in freetds.conf.

Now there is a nice descripiton in "Chapter 5. Advanced Configurations > Localization and TDS 7.0" of this "question mark issue". But I was using the odbc.ini file for configuration, and this page did not tell me whether I can, and if I can, how to use this setting in the odbc.ini, or if I cannot, how to get FreeTDS to use this parameter from freetds.conf.

Later I found out that the answer is described in "Chapter 4. Preparing ODBC > ODBC-combined configuration". Everything is documented fine, but a small hint or a reference to this page from the "Localization and TDS 7.0" page might come in handy for others as well.

It would also be nice to make it clear at some point in the documentation (perhaps in "Chapter 4. Preparing ODBC > Background and Terminology") that some parameters can only be set in freetds.conf, while others only in odbc.ini. This was not so clear for me either.

Thank you again.

Kind regards to everyone

Tamas Rebeli-Szabo

  • [freetds] [documentation] using both freetds.conf and odbc.ini parameters, Rébeli-Szabó Tamás, 07/04/2011