freetds - [freetds] MS SQL 2008 varchar(max) update problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Agnieszka Figiel <agnieszka AT llp.pl>
  • To: freetds <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] MS SQL 2008 varchar(max) update problem
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:46:56 +0200

Hello,

Forgive me if I'm double posting -- I don't think this message went
through yesterday, possibly because I included attachments that were
too large.

I'm getting an error when trying to update a large text field. The
definition of this field is:

[Info] [varchar](max) NULL

and I'm using 0.91 RC2, but the error was present also in patched 0.82.

Problem is, it only occurs in one of two MS SQL 2008 instances with
which I tested -- unfortunately the one where I don't have any admin
access, so I'm not sure about any configuration specifics. One
difference I know between these instances is that the failing one
requires encryption. The only way I could get freetds to talk to this
db at all was by compiling --with-gnutls.

The reason why I think this problem lies with FreeTDS is that the
issue does not occur when I execute the same update statement using
the java jtds driver.

The error encountered during tsql session error is as follows:

Error 20004 (severity 9):
Read from the server failed
OS error 104, "Connection reset by peer"

after which the connection is dropped and subsequent statements raise:

Error 20006 (severity 9):
Write to the server failed
tds_submit_query() failed

The complete tsql session output and tds dump are available here:
https://gist.github.com/1050634

I also tested to see at what character count the problem disappears --
I was able to update up to 1895 characters. Please advise what else to
check in order to help find out what is causing this. Especially if
there are some settings or logs available to the DBA -- I can ask to
get them if I know what to ask for.

Thank you!

Agnieszka Figiel