freetds - [freetds] License issue and Apple iTunes App Store: GNU LGPL dilemma

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Xander Maas <xjmaas AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] License issue and Apple iTunes App Store: GNU LGPL dilemma
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 22:06:47 +0200

Hi all,

I am busy developing an app for iOS for our school. It is an app that makes
it possible for students to check their balance for printing (it connects to
an Equitrac SQL server).

We are testing it yet on a few devices, but when we want it to be available
for the students, we have to publish it through the iTunes App Store. Will
this break the LGPL, under which the FreeTDS library is published? The app
would be published free, but the libary is statically linked.
Seems I can publish the LGPL license at the information page, or I can
incorporate an info view or something like that, mentioning the license.

Hope you can help me with problem (or should I say challenge... )

As a sidenote: I had to change a line in the original FreeTDS source, to make
it compile on the Mac. This in sybdb.h (and is a known issue..). I found his
change at http://osdir.com/ml/cocoa-dev/2009-09/msg00942.html

My change to sybdb.h: (line 148)
#if !defined (_WINDEF_) && !defined(_WINDEF_H) && !defined(_DOS32X_) &&
!defined(OBJC_BOOL_DEFINED)